Moving is a risk-sharing proposition. Whether you move items yourself, or hire a professional mover, the possibility of scratching, denting, or chipping a piece of furniture is always present. The most that we can do is to recognize the items most prone to damage and take extra precaution when handling them. Even then, damage could result. Please read through our policies to reduce the possibility of damage and ensure that your move will be stress-free.
Often, we are asked to complete tasks which are borderline impossible. While we try to complete each task requested of us, we reserve the right to refuse to complete tasks that the supervisor deems unsafe.
We provide disassembly & assembly of furniture items as a courtesy. Please note that we do not provide disassembly & assembly for exercise/play equipment or other non-furniture items. Please prepare such items for transport prior to the crew’s arrival.
For your safety and the safety of the crew, it is imperative that you give the movers adequate space to move your items safely. Please avoid closely following behind the movers while they are handling furniture. We reserve the right to stop the move to correct such behavior. The clock will remain running during this time.
We will not transport hazardous materials including but not limited to propane tanks, lawnmowers with fuel, fire extinguishers, nail polish, motor oil, paint, paint thinner, firearms, ammunition, poison, gasoline, 2-cycle fuel, ammonia, kerosene, etc. If the customer ships such goods without our knowledge, the customer will be held responsible for resulting damages, fines and delays.
We reserve the right to limit our workday to ten hours.
Basic Limited Liability Protection
We offer basic limited liability protection as required by federal law to protect your items during transit. Basic limited liability protection is not insurance, but rather valuation coverage. In the event that one of your items is damaged during the move, you will receive up to $0.60 per pound per damaged article. If you believe that the coverage provided is inadequate, we recommend that you purchase full coverage insurance from a third party. At this time, we do not refer clients to insurance agencies.
- Personal Items – Please prepare to transport jewelry, money, important papers, medicines, purses, wallets, weapons and any other personal valuables yourself. We are not responsible for the loss of personal items.
- Electronic Items – We have no way of knowing if such items were functional before the move and therefore, cannot accept responsibility for how they operate following the move. This is including but not limited to TVs, stereo systems, computers, copiers, printers, grandfather clocks, tablets, phones, etc.
- Lamps – Unboxed lamps must be moved within your personal vehicle as they are not covered in the event of damage.
- Art/Mirrors/Glass/Marble – These must be wrapped in cardboard and securely taped in order to be transported. These items are loaded at the supervisor’s discretion.
- Flat Screen TVs – These must be boxed to be covered. Coverage does not include electronic functionality. As we are unaware of the electronic functionality of the TV prior to be moved, we are unable to accept liability for electronic functionality following the move. TVs under 32″ must be moved within your personal vehicle. In the event that a client chooses to move a TV without a box, coverage is waived on the item. Check out the TV boxes that U-Haul offers to ensure that your TV is protected during transit.
- Pressed Wood Furniture – These items are not covered under any circumstances in the event of damage due to the original instability of the furniture. We do not provide disassembly and assembly for pressed wood furniture. Please prepare to do this yourself.
- PBO (Packed by Owner) – Items that were packed in boxes by owner are not covered in the event of damage except for in cases of damage due to the negligence of the crew.
- Major Appliances – Small scratches and dents on major appliances are not covered. Front-load washers that are moved without the bolts to secure the drum are not covered in the event of damage.
- Mattresses – Mattresses and box springs must be moved within mattress bags (shown left) to ensure safe transport. We are not responsible for damages that result from such items being moved without the protective bags. Please note that we do not supply mattress bags on moving day. Please purchase these prior to moving day. The crew can assist with placing the mattress or box spring within the protective bag.
- Floors/Walls – We will try at all costs to avoid causing damage to household surfaces including but not limited to walls, floors, exterior surfaces and handrails. It is the customer’s responsibility to ensure that household surfaces are properly covered and protected. If damage results due to the negligence of the crew, household surfaces are covered at up to $300.00 per move. The movers are unable to wear shoe coverings/booties as they create a safety hazard. Please install floor protection prior to the crew’s arrival if you wish to do so.
- Felt Pads/Sliders – Felt pads/sliders are required on the bottom of the legs of furniture to prevent damage to the flooring. If damage results due to the absence of felt pads/sliders, we will accept no liability for scratches/dents on the floors. Be sure to wait the required cure time for your wood floors prior to booking your move to avoid damages. We recommend that thin cardboard be securely taped onto the floor in high traffic areas to provide protection during the move.
- Load/Unload Only Moves – For load-only moves, we are only responsible for damages resulting while items are being moved from the home to the truck/container unit. Damages must be indicated to the supervisor while the crew is on-site on moving day. We are unable to claim liability for damages resulting after the load has been completed under any circumstances. A ratchet strap (shown left) is required for load only moves. For unload-only moves, we are only responsible for damages resulting while the items are being moved from the truck/container to the home. Damages must be indicated to the supervisor while the crew is on-site on moving day. We are unable to claim responsibility for damages resulting from another individual or company loading and transporting the items.